- USA 86 Mexico 63
- France 69 Croatia 64
- Spain 89 Senegal 56
- Slovenia 71 Dominican Republic 61
- Lithuania 76 New Zealand 71
- Serbia 90 Greece 72
- Turkey 65 Greece 64
- Brazil 85 Argentina 65
The quarter-finals are set, here’s how it looks:
1) Australia v Turkey was the match-up the Aussies wanted. A clear path to the semi-finals, no USA for now, all we gotta do is beat Turkey and everyone will get off our backs about the Angola game.
Seemed pretty simple and Australia lead for most of the game, rebounded well and looked as though the plan was working, but went on to blow a late five-point lead to go down 65-64 and leave Goran Dragic with a wide grin on his face.
The biggest ‘highlight’ was obviously the “how you like me know” clear-out three-pointer Turkey’s Emir Preldzic drained with just five seconds left on the clock, receiving the inbound with 22 seconds left in the game.
Full credit to Turkey, if that’s how you’re going to win, that’s a) ballsy and b) pretty dope
Here’s the full highlights:
2) Brazil turned the tables on Argentina and let them know they’re now the top dogs of South American hoops, with a crushing 85-65 win.
Although it wasn’t till midway through the game that I assume Brazil’s coach remembered “oh yeah we’re huge, why don’t we attack inside and eat all the rebounds and win super easy, Go basketball!” Or something like that.
Either way it worked and the Brazilian big men went to work along with Raulzinho Neto who shot a lazy 9/10 from the field to grab 21 points and kinda stick the boot into Argentina’s golden generation. Summed up no better than Thiago Splitter’s face in the pic below.
Meanwhile Neto be like:
3) You cannot and never will know how to pass like France. They beat Croatia and made a mockery of “find the best basketball play” with this outrageous sequence of passing and unselfishness.
It is actually beautiful and should probably only be watched while listening to classical music.
4) Oh yeah Steph Curry is awesome at shooting threes. I’ve been waiting for this game all tournament and we got it against Mexico.
Splash Brother number one went off for 20 points on 6-9 shooting from deep, at one point hitting a ridiculous 11 straight points for the USA.
Curry’s shooting had been weirdly off this tournament, but I’m happy to put that down to the “Hey these Molten’s are weird” theory. Now this is basically what he’s seeing (via ESPN)
1) DeMarcus Cousins is still looking for Gustavo Ayon
Eight teams to go and it looks like Spain is the only real threat to the USA. Teams like Brazil and France aren’t going to make it easy, so get ready for some intense late-stage tournament hoops.